Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Agent Cooper – From The Ashes

Categories: Reviews

Originally Published on: February 3, 2012

I am sure there are people out there that would absolutely eat this stuff up, but I am not one of them.

Here is the thing, they are all very talented and technically more than just proficient musicians. They are also quite capable of using odd time signatures and switching between them. They have some very ‘cleaver’ musical jokes and trickery throughout the album. They achieve extremely clean tones with great separation between all of the instruments so you can easily make out exactly what every member of the band is playing at every turn. The production standard of these recordings is at about the highest level I could imagine.

Yet, even with all of those (what one might consider) great elements coming together, it leaves me wanting to scream at the top of my lungs, “STOP!” followed by an immediate dive into the ugliest, dirtiest, punkest area of my music collection. Yes, I will be spinning ‘Damaged’ by Black Flag when I finish listening to this album and writing this review. I am actually listening to it for a second time while I am writing this to confirm my initial reaction.

Now, although this album makes me want to do bad things to good people, I also know that there is a huge audience out there that will really be into this. Fans of super-clean, really technical, beard stroking, wink-wink nudge-nudge prog will probably love this. People who dig post-mid-eighties Rush stuff, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, and that ilk will most likely find this to be right up their alley. This is uplifting, happy prog for folks who like the rock but don’t see the need for it to be so angry and dissident.

However, if you are like me and like music with a little dirt, attitude, and raw visceral power that makes you want to break things and have wild, reckless sex, this is one to avoid. I will not be giving it a third listen.

Now, hit it Greg (Ginn)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment